Today I am pleased to introduce to you a fresh new pattern by Love Notions – the Vanguard Kit! It is a pants and shirt set that is the perfect mixture of trendy yet comfortable. In addition, the shirt has fantastic options to make a variety of colorblocked styles.
I was chosen to test a size 6. Even though this big guy is just starting to outgrow many of his size 6 clothes, his measurements matched up perfectly with a size 6 on the pattern chart. The finished result was a perfect fit and an outfit that he loves.
The cargo jogger style pants are designed to be made out of bottom weight woven fabrics or medium to heavy weight knits. The waistband is extra comfy with wide elastic encased in a soft knit. For this particular pair, I used a twill from Joann Fabrics and a matching interlock for the waistband. One of my favorite aspects of these pants is all of the little details – ample pockets, a faux fly, pleats at the knee to allow for free range of movement, and lots of top stitching.
The shirt pattern from the Vanguard Kit comes with multiple colorblocking options, can be long sleeve or short sleeve, and has three neckline styles – crew neck, v-neck and a lined or unlined hood. There also is also an optional pocket. This shirt is designed to be made from stable medium-weight fabrics so I used coordinating interlock fabrics for this shirt.
After testing, the knee pleats were moved up a couple of inches, but regardless, the fit is fantastic. Perfect for the active little (or not so little) boys in your life!
Why do YOU need the Vanguard Kit in your pattern collection?
1. It is on sale from now until Sunday, March 6th for only $7.00
2. It comes in sizes 2t – 14.
3. The pattern has nested layers so it is simple to only print the sizes you need.
4. The shirt comes with multiple variations.
5. The shirt is a great way to showcase or even use up small pieces of custom knits.
6. The pattern is rated for confident beginners and delivers very satisfying results.
7. And finally…. because sewing for boys is fun too!
(This post contains affiliate links. I received a copy of the pattern for testing purposes. All reviews and opinions are my own)